|The IEEE Systems and Information
Engineering Design Symposium (SIEDS'16) is a student-focused international
forum for applied research, development, and design in Systems and
Information Engineering. The Symposium is the leading showcase for
undergraduate and Master's graduate design projects, such as those
from capstone design courses or from baccalaureate, honors, or design-oriented
graduate theses. Projects must extend beyond the analysis of systems
and include the synthesis of alternative solutions to a problem. When
appropriate, implementation and testing of a design is encouraged.
Faculty, industry, and government project advisors are welcome coauthors.
Contributed papers are solicited that apply diverse methodologies,
- Data Modeling: including Big Data, Data Analytics, and Data Mining
- Decision Analysis and Optimization
- Systems Integration & Design
- Simulation and Stochastic Modeling
- Human Factors and Cognitive Engineering
- Risk Analysis, Technology Management, and Policy
Papers can describe work in a wide variety of application areas,
- Telecommunications and Information Technology
- Robotics and Sensor Networks
- Transportation and Logistics
- Critical Infrastructure
- Military Applications
- Economic and Financial Systems
should emphasize the application of fundamental systems analysis
and design concepts. Symposium papers presented will be submitted for archival in IEEE XPlore. Papers not accepted for the proceedings will be considered
for the conference poster sessions.
Lockheed Martin, Booz Allen Hamilton, Northrop Grumman, ADT, PODS, Accenture, and Leidos
SIEDS'16 Symposium Committee
General Chair: Reid Bailey
Sponsorship Chair: Barry Horowitz
Program Chair: Justin Henriques, James Madison University
Publications Chair: Susan Donohue
Local Accommodations Chair: Erika Evans
Tammy Wang, Vice President of Data Science and Analytics, Riviera Partners
OF SPECIAL NOTE
BEST PAPER AWARDS
- Only those papers that are presented will be published.
Submitted papers that are not presented will not
- One paper per track will be awarded the Best Paper Award for
that track by a set of external judges. This selection is based
first on the quality of the written paper -- only the very best
written papers are considered for a best paper award. Of the strongest
papers, the final selection of each award winner is based on both
the presentation and the paper.
- While papers from both undergraduate and graduate students are
welcomed at SIEDS, only those papers primarily written by undergraduates
are eligible for Best Paper awards.
- SIEDS '16 Best Papers and Posters
STUDENT TRAVEL SCHOLARSHIPS
- Student Travel scholarships are available on a limited
- Travel scholarships are only available to a single presenting author per paper.
- Depending on demand, travel scholarships may only cover a portion of total travel expenses.
- Applications for travel scholarships can be submitted prior
to paper acceptance and must be submitted no later than one month
prior to SIEDS (by March 25, 2016).
- To submit a travel scholarship application, complete the Request
The Symposium will be held at the Zehmer Hall Conference Center on the grounds of the historic University of Virginia, in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Grounds Tour of the University of Virginia
DEADLINES AND REQUIREMENTS
Friday, February 12, 2016: Abstracts due by 11:59 pm East Coast time.
Submit abstracts via the EDAS conference management system. You will need to register one author to submit an abstract. You can add additional authors after submitting the abstract by clicking on the "My papers" tab at the top of the website. Abstracts will be submitted in a textbox.
Submission of 200-500
word abstracts for contributed papers not previously published or
presented. Abstracts should explicitly address the following:
- the systems analysis or design problem being solved (WHAT)
- background/relevant literature/state of the art (WHY/MOTIVATION),
- the methodological approach developed or adopted (HOW), and
- preliminary results and implications (RESULTS).
Friday, March 4, 2016: Notified of abstract review.
Friday, April 1, 2016: Register and completed manuscript uploaded by 11:59 pm East Coast time.
All papers need to meet the formatting guidelines from the SIEDS Paper Template. Papers must be no longer than 6 pages.
SIEDS 2016 template
Symposium fees reflect the student focus (and student participation)
of SIEDS'15. Registration will include admission to all conference functions, including an evening
banquet and breaks.
|• IEEE Member (non-student)
|• All Others
Corporate sponsorship is invited. Please contact the Symposium Committee for more information.
Administrative Support: Erika Evans
For more information contact:
SIEDS'16 Symposium Committee
Department of Systems and Information Engineering
University of Virginia
P.O. Box 400747
151 Engineer's Way
Charlottesville, VA 22904
Phone: (434) 924-5393
Fax: (434) 982-2972